Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Amen

I found this wonderful talk at LDS.org today, and had to share it.  I have spoken in sacrament meeting twice on Mother's Day, and kind of blown it both times.  This is what I wish I had said.  I add my testimony to that of Sister Pace.  Mothering our children in a loving and respectful way requires the overcoming of our selfish tendencies, which leads to true joy - the object and design of our existence.  There have been dramatic changes in me since undertaking and embracing the path of motherhood.  I am a more conscious and evolved person.  I better understand the "why" behind many gospel principles.  I know that more growth lies ahead in the years to come.  


As an aside, I think it is so important to change and reframe our thinking about the role of children in our lives.  They are not burdens to be borne, they are not weights around our necks.  They are our spirit brothers and sisters, entrusted to our care for the early part of their mortal lives.  The human infant is born the most dependent of any mammal, and has the longest period of dependency.  The infant, baby, toddler and child need us in both physical and emotional ways.   As we feed, clothe, and love each member of our household we should be mindful of the Savior's example, and remember that as we serve them, we serve Him.  

8 comments:

Kathleen said...

That's beautiful -- and so true.

Rachel said...

GREAT POST! I love you. I miss you. You are a great inspiration and help, I am lucky to have you as my sister.

Diana said...

Amen. BTW- I have started giving Madeline Organic milk on your recommendation. THanks for all the advice and inspiration. And also, I LOVED your bathing suit post! You are such a riot!

Jessica said...

Good article. I know just who I want to share it with.

Rachel said...

Thank you Staci. What you said is so beautiful and so true. You are an inspiration.

Helen said...

You are an awesome mom, not to mention, daughter-in-law!

2x2momma said...

thanks for sharing that article. It's funny, I read it when it came out 3 years ago when I was preggers for the first time, but I didn't really get it then. Reading it now I am really struck by how much she nails it. Good find.

Sarah Heder said...

Amen, indeed. I always love to hear what you have to say about the role of motherhood and finding the joy in that role. You know I still struggle with it, so I love reading talks like this that help me along the way. Thank you so much!

Let's hope it's not raining on your birthday, so we don't have to cancel our trip to Travel Town again!