Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Conrad's Surgery


Conrad turns one years old on the 6th of May.  He is taking a handful of steps on his own, just cut his top two teeth, and overall super active and independent.  It also must be noted that this kid can eat!  He like three full meals a day and a little breastmilk on the side and as needed throughout the night.  He acts absolutely like one of the big kids (and has since about eight or nine months).  He is super playful and climbing everything in sight.  We love him so much.  

He will have his first surgery tomorrow morning at 7am at St. John's Hospital.  We check in at 5am, and he supposed to have no food or drink after midnight.  It should take about an hour.  Dr. Grogan will remove the extra digits from his hand and feet, and then Dr. Miller will place tubes in his ears.  Both Doctors were referred to us by our amazing pediatrician, Dr. Robert Hamilton (Pacific Ocean Pediatrics).  I am so grateful to have such wonderful doctors in our area.

I am pretty anxious about my baby having surgery, despite the fact that logically, I realize things will be fine.  I think it is just my fear of the unknown.  This will be a learning experience, as there will be two more surgeries within the year.  In the fall, he will have the syndactyly of his left ring and middle finger "released" (meaning the fingers will be separated).  Then early next year, he will have the same procedure on his right hand.

Right now, I am just focusing on tomorrow.  Please keep him in your prayers.  I'll post an update as soon after surgery as possible.



7 comments:

Jessica said...

He is so cute I might have to eat him, and the only thing holding me back is that you would miss him so much. Seriously, his cuteness is ridiculous. He will definitely be in our prayers tonight.

Kathy said...

Fun to find your blog! I cannot imagine the stress of having my baby have surgery at such a tender age, but I know you are strong and you will get through this! Prayers being sent your way. His eyes are amazing!

beautifuldey said...

I'm sure everything will be fine. I think the hardest part may be the no eating after midnight! We'll be thinking of you.

Wendy said...

I loved Dr. Grogan- we saw him years ago when Daniel broke his arm- and it took me 10 days to figure out that was what was wrong with it! To say the least- I did not get the mother of the year award that year. Dr. Grogan was great though...
Good luck with the surgery!

Kathleen said...

You all are definitely in my prayers!

Rachel said...

I am praying! We love that guy! Call me as soon as you can!
I will be praying for you as well, I would be a mess!

Sarah Heder said...

Staci, I would be having a hard time too, but I know he's going to be okay, so hang in there! And please update us on how he's doing along the way. Such a cutie!