Olivia will be attending a German immersion, International Baccalaureate candidate school this fall, called Goethe International Charter School. She is very excited, and I am thrilled with the principal as well as the overall educational approach. This school is patterned after the renowned Albert Einstein Academy in San Diego. I had heard a lot about AEA over the years, and feel so fortunate to have this "sister" school (GICS) in our neighborhood. I actually heard about this opportunity from another homeschooling mom. I spread the word (as I do so well) and now many of our friends' children will be attending as well.
Over the past few weeks, I have been busy working on the school uniform and hot lunch committees. Charter school committee work definitely differs from the church committee work I am more accustomed to. It has been pretty intense at times (many differing strongly held opinions). I think that is to be expected from a group of parents that are passionate about innovative educational options. I have actually learned a lot from the process. We are wrapping up the major decisions on both committees.
Starting Monday evening, we will be attending weekly park dates to get to know our new classmates their families before school begins on September 8th. We'll let you know how it goes.

6 comments:
How exciting! And Dave and Olivia can speak German to each other now. :)
This post makes me sad--- not for any reason you might think, just that I realized we haven't actually talked in forever! This is all news to me... Sounds like a great school, and I am extremely jealous you have that opportunity!
love you
we should talk more!
That is so exciting! Keep us posted!
I know that the committee work will keep you busy. The charter school I work at (which is part of the same group a AEA) is heavily supported by the parents. And you're right - there is often a lot of wrangling about a 100 different things. Don't get discouraged abd enjoy the ride. I'm anxious to hear how the German immersion works out. She can always talk to her Uncle Adam and Grandma Helen!
I know we've talked on the phone about this and I'm very excited that you found this school. And I'm thrilled for Olivia to start the program.
I'm so jealous (yes, I am) and happy you found something you love for your kids. I am so happy you know so much about schools and are so sweet and wonderful to pass all your knowledge and research onto me to try and help me with my kids. I feel your passion! I will be interested to see how involved you get and to hear more about Olivia's experience too, especially with the German immersion program.
Sounds like an amazing experience! I'm so curious to hear more about what it is like- please give updates!
Post a Comment