Sunday, June 28, 2009

Olivia's Seventh Birthday Adventure

Olivia turned seven on May 19th, but we didn't have her big celebration until yesterday.  It was a Daring Girl Day of Adventure.  She took her closest friends: Isabella Christensen, Halle Atkinson, Evin Santana and Lauren and Elizabeth (Liffie) Haskins out for the day to Adventure Playground in Huntington Beach.  

What a day!  We met at our place at 10am, and headed south before 11.  Our first stop in Huntington was In-N-Out.  All six girls shared a booth.  I wish I had a picture of them.  They were so cute!  Then we headed over to Adventure Playground where the kids got to raft, cross the pond on a rope bridge, zip line, build with real hammer and nails, and go down a giant mud slide.   

Everything about the day turned out perfectly.  Every one of us had so much fun.  It was my first glimpse into what it will be like to have older kids....AND I LOVED IT!!!!  What a fun age they are at now.  Of course, it didn't hurt that all the girls we brought were so lovely and sweet.  What a blessing to have such wonderful friends!  Happy Birthday, Olivia!

All the Daring Girls wave to the camera

Lauren and Evin rafting on the pond

Liffie, Lauren, Halle and Olivia rafting on the pond

Doug was available to help the builders

The Daring Girl Construction Company, Inc.

Evin and Olivia working together

Evin and Olivia make some tough decisions about their plans

You could tell that Lauren had done this before!

Lauren and Liffie scope out the project

Halle and her sweet smile

Conrad the mud monster

Isabella exhibits a real can-do attitude while building her fort.

I wouldn't want to be THAT nail!

All the kids enjoying cake!

We faked this shot of Olivia blowing out the candles, because we forgot to take a picture the first time.  Another mom at Adventure Playground recommended that we have cake at Cake Box, an amazing German Bakery near the playground.  The cake was absolutely amazing...it really pays to go with the flow some times!

10 comments:

Sarah Heder said...

Huh? Where is this place? You get to build forts? This looks cool! I'm horrible Aunt. I didn't know it was Olivia's birthday. Happy birthday, Olivia!

Staci said...

Sorry, Sarah. I hit the button prematurely, and then had to leave for church. The post is complete now.

Katie said...

Thanks so much Doug and Staci. The girls were positively glowing when they got home last night. They had a great time!

Rachel said...

That looks so cool!! ID that a tough face olivia is doing in that pic of her and all her friends or is she mad?
I am glad the day went well!
Love you.

kristen said...

Once again, thank you so much for inviting Halle to this daring day of adventure. She was absolutely glowing when she came home and was bursting with confidence and pride in herself for being so brave. Thanks for being so wonderful and willing to take the girls out for such a wonerful time. Also, I do need to thank you (since you won't let me send you a card:) once again for the baby shower. It was completely unexpected and very much appreciated. You are the BEST!

Kristen said...

the boys are so excited to visit this place now! Sounds like a kids' heaven on earth!

Jessica said...

Happy late birthday to Olivia!! What a fun party. That was a great idea!

Diana said...

Happy Birthday Olivia!!!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Olivia! I think adventure is the proper word used here. What a fun day! You guys over there in CA have so many fun options...Lucky!

Élder y Hermana Heder said...

So, Olivia, are you getting better with the Swiss Army knife? Any more cuts? Your Daring Girl skills will serve you well through out your life. Love, Grandpa Jim